Compatibility Note: DockStar is no longer supported in OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or newer.|
Tips and Tricks for Mail.app
Click a Badge in the Menu Bar
Click on a badge in the menu bar to instantly open the corresponding mailbox.
Combine DockStar and Smart Mailboxes
Mail lets you create Smart Mailboxes which automatically show messages matching your desired criteria. For example, let's create a Smart Mailbox which shows all of your flagged mail, and configure DockStar to show the total number of messages in that mailbox.
You can assign a DockStar badge to any Smart Mailbox you create. Smart Mailboxes can be used to filter mail based on the Subject, To, From, and even text appearing in the message body. Also very useful is the ability to narrow the search to one or more mailboxes. By creating a Smart Mailbox showing the messages from two or more different mailboxes, you can use easily set one DockStar badge to monitor more than one mailbox.
- Choose "New Smart Mailbox" from the Mailbox menu on the menu bar.
- Enter a name for the mailbox. Let's call it "All Flagged Messages".
- Select "Message is flagged" from the first criterion menu.
- Click OK.
- Open the Preferences and switch to the DockStar section.
- Select a badge to modify.
- Select the "All Flagged Messages" mailbox.
- For Display, select "Total Messages".
- Pick your favorite shape, color, and other options.
Use Rules to Sort
Incoming Email into Separate Boxes
Using Mail's built-in Rules engine, messages can automatically be routed
into mailboxes based on the sender or subject. In this example, let's
have all email from Dad get sorted into a mailbox called "From Dad":
- Create a new mailbox by selecting "New..." from the Mailbox menu. Enter the name for the mailbox, and press "OK".
- Select "Preferences..." from the Mail menu.
- Select the "Rules" tab.
- Click "Add Rule".
- Select criteria for sorting your mail. For example, to sort all email from Dad into a mailbox called "From Dad", we'll make a condition to see if "From" contains his email address.
- Under "perform the following actions", select "Move message", and select the "From Dad" mailbox.
- Switch to DockStar preferences tab, and select a badge for the From Dad mailbox.
Use DockStar to Keep
Track of Pending Replies
Use DockStar to setup a special badge
for your Drafts mailbox.
When important mail arrives and you want to remember to reply, just press
Apple-R, Apple-S, Apple-W (Reply, Save and Close). Mail will save a
Draft reply in your Drafts folder.
© 2013 Ecamm Network, LLC. Mac, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, iChat, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, QuickTime, Mac OS X, iOS, AirPrint, FaceTime, iBooks, MacBook and MacBook Pro are trademarks of Apple Inc. Skype is a trademark of Skype Limited.
The Bluetooth word mark and logo are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Ecamm Network is under license.